Sunday, June 14, 2009

Camp Recount Self Evaluation

High Swing

Scared of heights? Well, if you are, I really suggest you don’t go to camp Adair. On the other hand if you do, it’s the place to go. There are A LOT of activities and if tried to do it all, you’d be there for about 2 or 3 weeks. My personal favourite is the HIGH SWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s about 10 meters high and is, well, a swing. You get into a harness, with a rope that goes up the pole you had to climb, and clipped on to a pole on the little platform up at the top, to catch you in case you fall. Scary!!! My turn. I started to climb. I was shaking really bad. I got to the top. The instructor started to fiddle around with the ropes, letting me stand there, felling like I’m about to walk the plank. 30 seconds later she says “ OK I’m about to let go of the rope in front of you and your going to feel a little pull. Then I’m going to count to 3 and you’re going to step off the platform to your right.” Deep breath I told my self. “1, 2, 3” I jump into space. The feeling of weightlessness took me over. True to its name I started to swing VERY high. It has GOT to be the best feeling ever! They let me swing until I was going low and slow enough, then an instructor grabbed my legs and pulled me to a stop. He then gets a ladder, un-clips you and you climb down.

There is absolutely NOTHING like the feeling of weightlessness so that’s why my favourite is the HIGH SWING!!!!!

By Hannah Frost

For my camp recount I think I did quite well. It has an intro that leads in to the rest of it well and is paragraphed. It’s in past tense, with all the correct grammar. I think it creates a good picture in people’s heads.

Criteria for Camp Recount
There is an introduction that aims to interest the reader and includes relevant background knowledge. 3

The reader is orientated to who was involved and to when and where the event happened. 2
Significant events have been chosen to add interest and impact.3

Words have been used to detail events in such a way so that the reader is able to visualise the experience.3

Events have been ordered chronologically and logically.4

Sometimes personal reflections or comments are included.4

Ideas are organised into paragraphs.4

A concluding statement that contains an evaluative comment and summarises aspects of the recount has been written.3

Maintains past tense.4

Spelling is accurate.4

Capital letters have been used for names of places, people and titles.4

Fullstops, commas and apostrophes have been used appropriately.4

1= not achieved
2= some evidence
3=most aspects are correct
4=accurate in content or use of feature

No comments: